Best Roofing Shoes : Review And Buying Guide
Looking for exclusive footwear that not only feels comfortable while working on the roof but can also have a grip to avoid any damage is a problem of many minds. Choosing an appropriate boot that can adapt to the roofing condition is another complex job compared to fixing. It can be really challenging, as well as difficult to look for. To ensure more safety precautions, footwear built for roofing mostly comes with vital functions like excellent traction & dedicated tread design, so they can support workers’ long day work on the most slippery & oiled roof.
If you are one of those who wanted to know which shoes are better for working on the roof? Stick to this blog & soon you are going to discover which will be better for you. One of the most essential qualities & factors of the right boot safety footwear is, they should be resistant to water & should also provide slip resistance to the worker. It is the best thing to look in by construction workers, window cleaners, or carpenters while buying shoes for themselves.
Literally, it’s a question of many roof workers, what are the best shoes to wear while working on the roof? To help those people, here we are displaying & presenting data of some of the best shoes to work on a roof nowadays.
The following shoes are the best picks for workers while working comfortably & safe on the roof. Not only that, but they are durable & provide an extra level of pleasure that all workers want to feel on their feet.
Top 20 Best Roofing Shoes Reviews In The Market Comparison
what are the best shoes for roofing?
Reebok Men’s Crossfit Nano 8.0 Flexweave Sneaker
This sneaker from Reebok rose to fame among the roofers after being compared with Cougar Paws. After further testing roofers came to know that Reebok sneaker was a step ahead than the Cougar Paws. Many roofers consider Reebok Crossfit Nano as the top roofing shoes besides Cougar Paws. The Crossfit has a flat sole made of rubber. These shoes are flexible and lightweight. Roofers prefer these sneakers while working on steel roofs. They provide excellent grip and are among the best non-slip roofing shoes. Besides, roofers can use them even on hot summer days as this Crossfit is extra breathable. This is non-water resistant roof walking shoes
- Best roofing shoes for asphalt and metal roofs and light weight.
- There is a wide toe box so these boots are comfortable.
- Secure lace-up closure and moreover these shoes are available in many colors.
- Multipurpose shoes so it is used by roofers, roof painters, roof and home inspectors.
- It cannot be used on high volume foot.
2. Merrell Men’s Moab 2 Waterproof Hiking Shoe
The uniqueness of these hiking shoes is that roofers can even use them on steep slopes. So, roofers can take advantage of its remarkable gripping. Merrell Waterproof Hiking Shoe has excellent durability and non grip features. It features a rubber made Vibram outsole. Further, a rubber toe cap is there to protect the roofer’s toe from hitting any sharp objects. Also, these shoes are waterproof and the presence of mesh lining permits airflow inside the shoes on hot days. Thus, roofers can use these shoes during winter or summer.
- Grip shoes for roofing.
- Water-resistant and Good heel support.
- Flexible and roofers can wear for a long duration.
- Waterproof models are pricier.
3. Irish Setter Men’s 6″ 83605 Work Boot
Roofers can use Irish Setter for walking on metal roofing. The outer layer of these boots is made of waterproof leather. Soft rubber soles are slip-resistant and also uphold a good grip and traction. Besides, they have electrical-resistant soles and meets ASTM F2413-11 safety. The soles are also heat-resistant and are capable of withstanding heat up to 475 degrees Fahrenheit. The Irish setter is one of the best roofing shoes for shingles. Finally, the manufacturer enhances the style of these boots with the 6” lace-up work.
- Both electrical and heat-resistant outsole.
- Affordable roofing shoes.
- Top roofing work boots
- A small toe-box adds to the discomfort.
- Requires additional cleaning after every use.
4. Adidas NEO Men’s SE Daily Vulc Lifestyle Skateboarding Shoe
Adidas is a renowned name in the footwear and sneaker industry but not in roofing shoes. It is the second-largest sportswear firm in Europe. Roofers use the Adidas NEO SE as a non-traditional work shoe. The shoes have an adhesive rubber sole and also a rubber toe guard. The denim upper along with the 3 leather strips adds to the attractiveness of these roofing shoes. It also comprises of a Cloud foam Sock liner for comfort and lightweight cushioning. So, roofers who work for 10-16 hours per day benefit from the extra cushioning. Besides, Adidas Neo SE has a soft fabric flat lacing system that stays tight. Roofers feel connected to the roof as they feel like barefoot shoes. Thus, they are tough and solid shoes for any type of roof surface. This is one of best tennis type Shoes for Roofing
- Comfortable lightweight shoes with solid support.
- Available in many colors and textures.
- Easy to clean after long use.
- Hard-wearing materials and good craftsmanship.
- It features a thin sole.
- Size runs large and less arch support.
- Not able to clean with water but with Windex and a towel.
5. Caterpillar Men’s Second Shift 6″ Plain Soft Toe Work Boot
Caterpillar shoes offer exceptional support on the ankles and feet. These lace-up soft-toe work boots in leather are durable. Further, it features a speed lacing shaft, plush logoed collar, and hex-shaped grommets. In addition to this, there is a Nylon Mesh lining to enhance comfort and breathability. Special sizes are available for standard and wide sized feet. The outsole is oil-resistant.
- Protect from electrical hazards.
- Presence of Goodyear welt construction.
- Keeps the feet aerated and dry.
- Caterpillar’s in-sole cushioning can be improved.
- After long usage, the tongue shapes changes.
6.Crocs Unisex-Adult Men’s and Women’s Classic Clog
This iconic is started as a comfort revolution all around the world but later also became one of the most chosen footwear for outdoor activity. This extraordinary footwear is dedicatedly developed to make users fall love in with its comfort day by day. They are made from fully Croslite material & have the signature of crocs on them.
With its supportive back secure fit, workers who fix roofs do not have to worry about a slip. Not only that, but this feature is advance in nature & make sure this footwear fits everyone perfectly.
Its advanced toe box ventilation feature also makes sure to provide air to the feet of workers for every time refreshment. This footwear is really beneficial to those workers who work long hours in their day-to-day life. The most beneficial quality about this croc classic clog is it provides resistance from every slippery state of working. While wearing that, workers can feel they are secure because of their hard grip on the floor. One other benefit that its user gets is because of its lightweight. Often, workers who work on a long shift needs a boot that doesn’t consume their energy.
If you are looking for a shoe for an outdoor activity or work like fixing a roof. This is the best choice that you can make. It not only provides you with a lightweight but it is really good at many aspects.
- Lightweight in nature
- Beneficial for outdoor works
- Extra hardened grip for slippery places
- Specially made for a long working shift
- Advanced toe box ventilation feature
- Presence of supportive back strap
- Present in multiple colors
- For some that open back heel area can be uncomfortable
7. Timberland PRO -Best for Metal Roofing
Timberland PRO built the athletic work shoes with attention on work-ready protection and lightweight performance. They also manufacture quality workwear and meet the demands of the people working in hard and demanding environments. This Sport alloy shoe is made of Ripstop nylon and also features a synthetic sole. The outsole with the built-in anti-fatigue technology keeps the foot comfortable all through the day. Both soft-toed shoes and steel-toe shoes are available. So, one can choose the required shoes according to their need. These shoes meet ASTM F2413-11, ASTM F2412-11, and ASTM F2892-11 electrical hazard standards. Therefore, they offer safety against the risks of walking on electrical parts, live electrical circuits.
- Best shoes to overcome foot fatigue.
- Comfortable, flexible, and lightweight work shoes.
- Excellent toe protection.
- One of the best shoes for metal roofing.
- The quality of the insoles can be improved.
- Poor ventilation.
8. RAX Men’s Mid Multifunctional V-tex Waterproof Hiking Boots Outdoor Shoes
Rax is a subsidiary corporation of Taiya. It focusses on comfortable, lightweight, and stylish hiking shoes. It also combined outdoor sports into tiring city life and pledges a fit lifestyle free walking. The v-tex water-resistant nanofiber outer membrane provides an extra block against water. But it is breathable to use all through the day. RAX shoes have triangle lugs and they provide good traction and grip. Besides, it uses both leather+TPU piece dual toe protection. Thus, it covers up the toe for shielding the fragile shoe toe. Above all, these shoes have a Sand-against Shoe Tongue to prevent sand from getting inside the shoe. It can be underrated shoe which is great for Roofing.
- Water-resistant upper sole with TPU toe protection.
- Lightweight and cushion foot bed.
- Antiskid and multifunctional boots.
- Available in four colors.
- Users face sizing problems.
9. Thorogood Men’s Crosstrex Series – Oxford Waterproof, Composite Safety Toe Hiker
Thorogood also contributes to the category of shoes. Is difficult terrain, bad weather, or hard jobs delaying your performance? Then, just try these Thorogood Men’s Crosstrex Series. They provide the extra grip of a perfect work boot and the comfort of a sports shoe. As known, Thorogood is identified for its craftsmanship, coziness, and innovation. The presence of new composite safety toe caps offers equal protection as steel. But they weigh less, are non-metallic, transmit less cold, and corrosion-resistant. The waterproof, aerated membrane has the feet dry while promptly emitting moisture and body heat. In addition, Thorogood roofing shoes are constructed with electric shock-resisting heels and soles.
- Presence of Crosstrex 360 outsole.
- Excellent comfort and fit.
- Sturdy shoes but lightweight.
- The toe box is narrow.
- Thorogood can improve the standard of a safety toe.
10. Merrell Women’s Moab 2 Vent Hiking Shoe
For more than a decade, the Merrell Moab has been the top choice of roofers and hikers around the world. It is the chosen one because of its comfort and value for its robustness. First, these roof walking shoes for women have a Vibram sole. Then it features a high-performance rubber sole with supreme durability, required balance and slip resistance. Then the mesh present in the upper part makes these Merrell Women’s shoes more attractive and enhances breathability. Moreover, the targeted heel cushions keep the roofer’s feet at ease. Thus, it reduces the stress on your foot. Finally, women can choose from a wide range of colors as Merrell manufactures different colors of women’s roofing shoes.
- Relieves foot pain and provides excellent arch support.
- Excellent stability and can be worn for long working hours.
- Best women roofing shoes
- Insole cushioning in the upgraded Merrell model can be improved.
11. Vans Unisex Old Skool Classic Skate Shoes
These skate shoes from Vans are the finest roofing shoes to be used in warm conditions. One can choose from several colors and also the upper material of the shoes. This shoe has a rubber sole and its outer surface is made of Suede or canvas. Normally, durable materials that are ideally used by skaters are used. Roofers can also use this on tough shingles. Thus, it does not cause any abrasion. Besides, the additional padding in the tongue and the collars is responsible to provide more comfort to the roofers. It also has an extended side stripe to create a flowing logo ‘V’.
- One of the best skate shoes for roofing.
- Long-lasting and stylish skaters.
- Watch out for the original Vans brand.
12. Salomon Men’s Speedcross 4 Trail Running Shoe
Salomon’s speedcross shoes have a specific foothold which offers an excellent grip while climbing the roofs. They are lightweight and perfect shoes for roofers. So, the monster grip makes them rated as the best steep roofing shoes. They provide a good balance to the roofers and thus prevent them from slipping. Apart from roofers’ runners also benefit from these shoes. With a remarkable grip, these shoes can be used in wet climatic conditions. Therefore, one can use these shoes in trail running, backpacking, mountaineering, or hiking. So, they guarantee a smooth and memorable trip.
- The footbed is well-cushioned.
- Displays excellent durability.
- Best shoes for steep surfaces.
- Not constructed to walk on hard surfaces.
13.Nike Sb Charge Slip Skate Shoe Men’s
Nike SB Charge Slip Skate Shoe is one of the most famous footwear across the globe for its durability in outdoor working. Its foam sock linear makes sure, its user gets all the comfortability for they paid while doing their tasks. Not only that but its vulcanized cushion is only designed to fuse the outsole for higher flexibility. By that its user also doesn’t have to worry about any ankle break on a slippery platform.
If you are looking for a shoe that can help you work extraordinarily on the roof. No doubt this is the wisest choice you can make. Its durable canvas has a broken-in heel feature to provide stability every time you take a step wherever you want to.
- Provide essential durability
- Best for outdoor working
- Presence of sock linear for higher comfortability/li>
- Vulcanized cushion for higher flexibility
- Slip Resistance & Can save your ankle
- Highly expensive
- It Is not water resistant
14. Thorogood Men’s American Heritage 8″ Moc Toe – Safety Toe
Manufactured in the USA, the Thorogood American Heritage work boots are very famous among the roofers. Roofers take advantage of its breathability and waterproof quality. Roofers might work in any climatic conditions be it cold or hot. So, this Men’s American Heritage 8″ Moc Toe – Safety Toe can be used in extreme conditions. Further, roofers can benefit using these boots on inclined roofs as it provides a strong grip. The cushion footbeds are present and responsible to maintain feet’s comfort. In addition to that, a steel cap is present at the toe to protect the feet from coming in contact with any sharp edges on the roof.
- The wedge style synthetic outsole is slip-resistant.
- Available in two colors.
- Durable unisex roof boots.
- Non-water-resistant shoes.
- Stitching quality can be improved.
15.KEEN Men’s Newport Closed Toe Water Sandal
These men’s outdoor sandals are specially made for those who are into outdoor works. The pure leather used to make this sandal makes it invincible for rough works. Not only that but its synthetic sole also adds another benefit for the workers who fix roofs or works on a height. With the help of these, they can work without worrying about any slips or missteps. The measurement of its heel shows it is approximately 1.25 cm, which is really effective.
Apart from all these basic advantages of this sandal, it also consists multi directional lugs with razor sipping to help workers get a comfortable grip on the platform. Also, its non-marking synthetic rubber sole makes sure to leave no imprint while walking indoor. Its lace lock bungee capture feature also provides a quick easy & our access from the sandal.
Some other benefits of buying this sandal are also unique, its size always runs true to what it shows. Also, the presence of non-removable EVA footbed with added arc support workers in all day comfort. The most precious thing about this footwear is, they are washable. By using a small amount of detergent & following a gentle cycle of air dry you can easily make them look new every time.
At last, all I can say is that it is the best men’s sports sandals for outdoor works available in the market.
- 100% Leather & Synthetic Sole for Long lasting
- Provide Traction & Protection through its multi directional lugs & razors
- Always supports & give comfort to its users
- Water Resistant
- Sometimes, its washable nature become a reason for its destruction
- After long usage, it can be uncomfortable for the user
- Too Expensive for small workers
16. Timberland PRO Men’s 6″ Pit Boss Soft Toe
Timberland boots are safe, comfortable, and tough. These high-quality leather boots are sturdy and are proficient to resist rough climatic conditions. Besides these work boots exhibit a quick break-in and are very comfortable. The exterior leather is thick and strong with a rubber sole. So, this rubber sole is ensuring excellent traction even on an asphalt roof. However, one of the drawbacks is that the insoles are not comfortable. This Timberland boots are among the PRO collection and is, therefore, one of the significant and most trusted brands for work boots.
- Quick break-in and also reduces foot fatigue.
- Offered in brown and wheat color.
- The quality of the insole is bad.
17. Skechers Men’s Mariner Utility Boot
Skechers are well-known for their high-quality sneakers, but they also manufacture roofing boots. Roofers maintain their stability with the help of the bottom tread which is very thick. One of the negatives is the tongue, which is fixed. As a result, roofers find it is less flexible for the feet. For example, these boots can be used as roof inspection boots as the roofers spend only a small amount of time on the roofs. They are available in various colors like dark brown, black, charcoal, and wheat.
- Solid construction with excellent fit.
- The presence of the logo on the tongue adds extra style.
- Poor heel linings.
- The quality of the leather is poor.
18. EVER BOOTS “Ultra Dry” Men’s Premium Leather Waterproof Work Boots Insulated Rubber Outsole
Ever boots are one of the top-quality boots in the market. The presence of an insulated rubber outsole ensures to keep the feet warm. Moreover, roofers can use them in wet rainy environments as they are water-resistant. Another outstanding feature of these Ever boots is that they have speedy hooks and back loop pull. As a result, this enables easy and quick wear. They are versatile boots and can be used for gardening, heavy-duty construction, landscaping, farming, and outdoor hiking. Therefore, roofers term these boots as sturdy and dense boots due to their durability.
- Insulated lining and water-resistant.
- Lightweight yet sturdy boots.
- Size fits as expected.
- Mandatory period for initial break-in.
19. Red Wing Heritage Men’s Classic Moc 6″ Boot
The Red Wing Heritage Classic boots are first-class striking leather boots. Also, it offers first-rate comfort levels. They are tough enough to survive any rough climatic conditions. One can name it as exclusive shingle roof shoes as the flat rubber outsole offers a solid grip. Besides, these boots are lightweight so that roofers find it easy to carry along. Moreover, it is one of the trusted brands among the roofers and they have the option of picking their favorite color. Yes, Red Wing manufactures shingles roofer boots in seven different colors.
- Excellent quality and fits as expected
- Best cushioned durable work boots
- Bit pricy and takes some time to break-in
- Width near the toes can be improved
20. KEEN Utility Men’s Milwaukee 6″ Steel Toe Work Boot
The presence of Steel Toe makes the Keen Utility Milwaukee Boots very famous among heavy-duty workers. As the tread is strong with toe protection roofers opt for these shoes. The steel toe safeguards the toe and it avoids foot injury and thus improves safety. The only disadvantage for roofers is that they are bulky and tough. It also protects against electric shocks. This is also best for solar installers. Also consider crocs or sandals than normal work boots. Keens steel toed work “sandals can also be a better choice.
- Easy and quick to clean these Keen boots.
- Long-lasting steel toe work boots.
- Clunky construction.
- Keen must improve quality.
Roofers get confused when picking their roofing shoes. It is because of the variety of roofing shoes. One must choose the best roofing shoe according to their requirements. There are few factors to consider while looking for these roofing shoes. Normally, a roofer’s job is tough and dangerous. They work for long hours every day. The slopes may be slippery plywood roofing or roofers may work on metal roofing. So, the type of shoes they wear to decide on their safety level. Inadequate shoes may tear out quickly or might be slippery while walking on the roofs.
To lower the chances of slipping off the roof, roofing shoes are manufactured to survive steep inclines. At the same time, they must also be comfortable. Recently, the roofing shoes are classified as magnetic roofing shoes, tennis roofing shoes, and bed foam roofing shoes. These roofing shoes might help the roofers to concentrate more on their work and thus the roofing job is completed quickly. This article helps roofers to buy the good roofing shoes. Therefore, it serves as a guide explaining several types of roofing shoes, their features, pros, and cons. Own the best roofing shoe and carry on DIY projects of installing roofs. Don’t be a stupid “Real men” going barefoot because safety is important.
Finally, make sure to select the roofing shoe based on the environment you work, climatic conditions, duration of work, and foot health. Roofers’ job is dangerous and challenging. So, roofers must pick a shoe that provides more comfort and safety to them. Don’t forget to check OSHA Safety checklist and our guide on roofing vest.
What are the Velcro straps for on roofing shoes?
The presence of Velcro straps on roofing shoes helps roofers to wear their shoes quickly. It also provides the correct fit for the roofers.
How to make shoes grip better?
One can use traction spray, add both salt and rubber glue, stick sand to soles or spray hairspray over the sole area. Make sure to wear roofers tool belt while roofing
How to remove roofing tar from shoes?
First, use the plastic knife to remove the black goop. Make sure no damage is done to any of the spikes. Then, use a toothbrush dipped in the detergent mix to gently scrub off the remaining tar.
Is it ok to wear tennis shoes when roofing?
Yes, roofers use tennis shoes while working with asphalt shingles and metal roofs.
- Roofing repairing is one of the most dangerous projects that a person needs to do. In addition to the danger, most of the roofs have a slippery platform. Where any uncertain accident can even lead to a loss of life.
Often, to protect themselves from these scenarios, workers prefer shoes that are water-resistant as well as provide a grip that is needed for the work. But buying a good work boot is another difficult job for those workers. To help those workers, here are the things that they need to remember before buying any shoe for their roofing work: –
Things to Remember before Buying Footwear for Roofing
- Traction & Grip
- Walking on your roof seems like an easy and simple thing to do. However, it can be a very dangerous task and can even lead you to various accidents. To walk safely on the roofs, first, you need to make sure that your roof’s pitch isn’t too steep to walk on. If it is on a steep pitch, don’t go out there under any conditions.
Otherwise, for walking on a roof safely keep these things in mind to get a safe experience:
- Use Proper footwear– You want to make sure that your shoes have a great grip on the bottom. So, you can walk without having any hesitation & missteps.
- Secure the ladder– You need to make sure that the ladder has ample room which is properly placed. This means to place it on a flat surface, at a 4:1 ratio.
- Secure a Harness– Harnesses can be expensive, but they are absolutely necessary for safety. When you get on a top you need to secure a roof bracket. It should be of solid wood, a rafter for example, so it will be strong enough to hold your weight.
- Use a tool belt– Just as important as making the ladder sturdy is making sure you have hands free to properly climb. For that you will need a tool belt, so you can place tools securely in it.
- Clear the roof– Make sure that the roof is clear of weather like rain or snow, but also from leaves and twigs, and other debris.
Metal roofs become slippery in dirt or rainy climate. It is even more dangerous than other types of roofing material, such as asphalt tiles. It’s already proven that metal roofs are more slippery than any other roofing. So, you must wear the correct footwear to safely walk on it.
They are so slippery that snow “avalanching” off the roof is a definite hazard in areas that experience heavy snowfalls in winter.
Walking on a metallic roof is way far riskier than walking on any other surface without the proper equipment. It can even cost you your life.
- It is one of the most asked questions of many workers who works on a metal roof. We have already given details regarding some exclusive shoes to work on a metallic roof in this blog. But to help you more, here are some other shoes that are also efficient. The shoes are: –
- Reebok Men’s Cross Fit Nano 8.0
- Merrell Men’s Mob 2
- Irish Setter Men’s 6
- Adidas Neo Men’s SE Daily
- Caterpillars Men’s Second Shift 6
- XTRATUF Performance Series 6
- Timberland Pro
- Rax Men’s Mid Multi-Functional V-tex
- Thorogood Men’s Cross Trex Series
- Merrell Women’s Moab 2 Vent Hiking Shoes
- No matter how much you pay for some shoes, you can never get a water resistance quality in them. Often, because of that, many roofing workers need a way to make their footwear waterproof. To help those, here are the 2 ways to help them making their shoes waterproof or water-resistant. The ways are:
- Waterproofing Shoes with Wax
To achieve waterproofing with this method, you need to follow some steps. The steps are: –
- Grab a hunk of beeswax or colorless candles
- Clean your shoes with a cloth or wash them if they are dirtier
- Apply the wax in an inconspicuous part of your shoe
- Rub the wax all over on your shoes from outside
- Get the hairdryer & set it into high heat to wave it on the shoes
- Continue it until the wax starts disappearing
- Test Waterproofing
- Buy Water Proofing Products
In this way, to achieve water resistance in your shoes, you need to buy waterproofing products from some online sources or general stores. After that, you need to follow these steps: –
- Break in the shoes
- Apply waterproofing product all over the shoes
- Do it as often it is needed
- Wash out the waterproofing product whenever the need arises.
- After founding a pair that is comfortable & effective on all the roofing surfaces. Often, people wanted to know how to protect these shoes from dirt. It not only helps in making them more effective but it also increases their life.
For protecting your shoes from dirt, you can buy these products. They are also easily available online & are also affordable. The products are: –
- Crap The Ultimate Protector
- Jason Mark Repeal
- Kiwi Rain & Stain Protector
- Scotch Guard Suede & Nubuck Protector
- Adidas Shoe Care Stop
- Rust Oleum Neverwet Boot & Shoe Spray
- Timberland Balm Proofer
- Many roofers in the market uses converse or some other skate boarding shoes for their work. But there are many shoes which they can buy at the same labeled price they purchased those. And it is always better to do things with the proper gadgets & equipment.
No doubt, they are also great but, if you are working on a sloppy or slippery roof these shoes can lead you towards difficult uncertainties. So, it is always better to buy shoes that are made for outdoor activity or especially for roofing.
- Many roofers prefer to wear grip socks beneath their shoes. And it is a really problematic question that why not wear it? According to me whatever gives you comfort; you can wear either it is grip socks or ankle socks.
But there are some difficult scenarios where these socks can cause you a lot of problems. Just for an example, an asphalt shingle roof gets so hot in the summer that it becomes really difficult to wear grip socks on that occasion. So, it’s better if you don’t wear these socks in the summer.
- Complete Guide How To Use A Porter Cable Air Compressor? - June 1, 2022
- Painting Cabinets Without Sanding|Complete Guide - May 19, 2022
- Guide About How To Remove Paint From Concrete Walls? - April 18, 2022